This week in class, we met in an online Edcamp forum. I wasn’t sure what to expect and so the introvert in me felt a bit awkward. I was expecting each room to have a facilitator, but since that wasn’t the case, it took a few minutes to get rolling. I jumped around all the rooms and listened to some great conversations and perspectives.

https://edcampuvic.ca/

I really enjoyed Shannon Schinke and her discussion on a gradeless curriculum. I find it bizarre that students in grade 4+ get letter grades. They seem to unnecessary and even harmful in their vagueness and assumptions that come along with each letter. I have joined her FB group “Beyond Report Cards”. I’m hoping as a teacher, I can find a way to advocate for gradeless teaching.

I also got some good tips from the practicum group. I like the idea of making an introductory video for the students so they can see my life and kids. I thought it was cute how eager kids are to hear your stories. I also found it very useful to ensure you set guidelines/boundaries early on. If you have an agreement with the students then they know their expectations and what to think of you.